Novell today introduced Novell® ZENworks® 7 Linux Management, an integrated, complete management system for centralized control of Linux* desktops and servers. With ZENworks 7 Linux Management, organizations can dramatically reduce the overhead required to manage Linux systems. As a result, organizations can quickly and easily deploy and manage Linux in their IT environment, lowering their total cost of IT operations.
Novell ZENworks 7 Linux Management provides complete lifecycle management for Linux platforms, including SUSE LINUX and Red Hat Enterprise Linux, adding imaging, configuration lockdown, remote management, inventory and software management to extend its leadership in this fast growing market. The management capabilities of ZENworks 7 Linux Management are integrated with Novell Linux Desktop and SUSE LINUX Enterprise Server 9 (part of Novell Open Enterprise Server). ZENworks 7 Linux Management is the only solution that uses Policy-Driven Automation to centrally deploy, manage and maintain Linux resources no matter where they reside in the network.
“Companies need integrated tools that automate Linux system management,” said Fred Broussard, IDC research manager. “Novell is changing Linux management by applying its expertise in complete lifecycle management through Policy-Driven Automation to reduce management costs and accelerate the adoption of Linux in the enterprise.”
In addition to the market-leading Linux software and patch management capabilities already available in ZENworks Linux Management, version 7 delivers many new, enterprise-class capabilities, including:
- Policy-Driven Automation that allows administrators to define their business processes and policies once and then automatically apply them to the appropriate individual device or groups of devices.
- Web-based administration via the new ZENworks Control Center, a task-oriented management console for centrally deploying, managing and maintaining Linux systems.
- Remote control to reduce the number of required technician visits to remote locations*powered by the popular open-source VNC (Virtual Network Computing) client, which Novell has directory-enabled with its identity management technology for secured remote control.
- Centralized imaging to automate and accelerate Linux deployments.
- Customized reporting and querying for hardware and software inventory.
Dennis Large, University of Louisville IT LAN administrator, said, “As we move ahead with our Linux strategy, we need complete confidence that the tools we put in place will keep us in control and contain costs. ZENworks Linux Management will allow us to quickly gather updates and patches and efficiently distribute them to our many Linux servers.”
Novell Canada CTO/CIO Ross Chevalier said, “Administrators need a complete management solution that is built specifically for Linux environments, yet integrates with their existing infrastructure. ZENworks 7 Linux Management brings the features and value of lifecycle management familiar to ZENworks users to revolutionize how Linux devices are managed.”
Novell is previewing ZENworks 7 Linux Management at CeBIT in Hannover, Germany, and at the upcoming Novell BrainShare® User Conference in Salt Lake City later this month. Customers can get a first look at the new product at http://www.novell.com/zenworks/sneakpeek. The product is scheduled for release in the second quarter of 2005, and details on pricing and availability will be announced at a later date. For more information about ZENworks Linux Management, please visit http://www.novell.com/products/zenworks.