A digital camera is only as good as the prints it captures, and the new Fujifilm FinePix S3100 and FinePix S5100 are equipped with the power to produce brilliant images for unforgettable prints. The successors to the popular FinePix S3000 and FinePix S5000, these digital cameras bring 6x and 10x optical zoom respectively and four megapixels to the photographic experience. Sleek and versatile, the FinePix S3100 and S5100 offer digital muscle along with convenience and simplicity beyond entry-level offerings, to produce clean, crisp photographs.
“Fujifilm has further bridged the gap between ‘point-and-shoot’ simplicity, convenience, and SLR sophistication with these new models,” says Kent Hatton, Senior Director of Marketing, Consumer & Professional Imaging, Fuji Photo Film Canada Inc. “We acknowledge the diversity of needs and wants in the high-end category, and are confident that the wide range of features available in these prosumer digital cameras will cater to the desires of the more sophisticated digital photographer.”
About the FinePix S3100
The FinePix S3100 offers four megapixel CCD technology and high performance 6x optical zoom with 3.4x digital zoom for detailed images. Compact and lightweight, this SLR-style digital camera offers easy handling and intuitive operation through various shooting functions including AUTO, Manual, and Scene Position settings for portraits, landscape, sports and night scenes. By attaching an optional 1.5x Tele Conversion Lens to magnify the subject, or an optional 0.79x Wide Conversion Lens to include more of the scene, users can further customize their images quickly and easily to capture the exact shot they are looking for.
The user-friendly, 110,000 pixel electronic viewfinder (EVF) displays the camera’s current settings allowing you to keep your eye on the action. The 1.5-inch LCD monitor makes it easy to immediately enjoy reviewing and sharing each image. In addition, the NTSC/PAL video output feature allows users to plug their digital camera into the television regardless of what country they are traveling in, and experience clear video output. And xD-Picture Card technology provides greater storage capacity potential allowing users to quickly and easily record, store and transport audio-visual information.
FinePix S3100 features at a glance:
· Compact, lightweight SLR-type body for easy handling
· 4.0 million effective pixels
· 1.5-inch TFT LCD monitor for clarity and detail
· 6x optical zoom with 3.4x digital zoom
· User-friendly 110,000-pixel electronic viewfinder (EVF)
· Various shooting modes AUTO, Manual and Scene Position (portrait, landscape, sports and night scene))
· Six multi-language LCD display: English, French, Chinese, Japanese, German and Spanish
· NTSC/PAL video output
· Lower power consumption design up to about 300 shots with four alkaline batteries (CIPA standard)
· Easy downloading using USB
· Additional accessories included: 16 MB xD Picture Card, 4 AA type alkaline batteries, lens cap, adapter ring, shoulder strap, USB cable, A/V cable and FinePix Software CD-ROM
· PictBridge compatible
About the FinePix S5100
Users can feel confident in every image they take with the FinePix S5100 digital camera with four megapixel CCD technology. The 10x optical zoom with focal range of 37 – 370 mm* ensures crisp, clean images. For those really distant shots, the 3.6x digital zoom extends the zoom power up to a staggering 36x magnifies an image up to 36x (an equivalent focal length of 1332mm).
Versatile shooting options make taking unique images easy each and every time. There are ten exposure modes – including three light metering choices; the high-speed continuous shooting which provides three modes for capturing moving subjects; and a wide range of ISO settings including 64, 100, 200, 400 and AUTO. In addition, this model offers several creative manual options including seven manually selectable white balances – one of which is a custom setting.
Like the FinePix S3100, an optional 1.5x Tele Conversion Lens or optional 0.79x Wide Conversion Lens can be attached to the FinePix S5100 to magnify a subject or fit more into each shot. The high-resolution 115,000-pixel LCD electronic viewfinder (EVF) ensures users can view complete shooting information clearly and easily. The high-speed Dual Auto Focus (AF) system ensures sharp image capture – including moving subjects. The AF assist illuminator can be activated in low light, while the Area Focus function does not require users to focus and recompose before snapping the shot.
The convenient photo mode button or ‘F’ button on the FinePix S5100 lets users select quality mode, sensitivity level or colour mode quickly and easily. This enables users to quickly adapt to their shooting environment and set the look of the photo from bright colour, to classic black and white, to a chrome finish.
- Equivalent for 35 mm camera.
FinePix S5100 features at a glance:
· 4.0 million effective pixels with newly developed image processor
· High performance 10x optical zoom with 3.6x digital zoom
· User-friendly 115,000-pixel electronic viewfinder (EVF)
· 1.5-inch LCD monitor for clarity and detail
· Wide range of ISO settings including 64, 100, 200 and 400, as well as AUTO
· Various exposure modes including Programmed AE, Shutter Priority AE, Aperture Priority AE and Manual
· Records images as CCD-RAW or JPEG ;
· VGA-sized movie with sound (640×480 at 30 frames per second)
· Continuous AF shooting mode for focusing on moving subjects; AF Assistant Illuminator enables focusing in a dark space
· Seven multi-language LCD display: English, French, Chinese, Japanese, Italian, German and Spanish
· Additional accessories included: 16 MB xD-Picture Card, 4 AA-size batteries, lens cap, adapter ring, shoulder strap, USB cable, A/V cable and FinePix Software including RAW File Converter LE
· PictBridge compatible
Availability and Pricing
The FinePix S3100 will be available in Canada from retailers in September 2004 and the S5100 will be available in Canada from retailers in October 2004. The S3100 will be available at an estimated street price of $399 and the S5100 will be available at an estimated street price of $549.
Developing your digital images
Canadians are taking more digital images than ever before but often do not take the time to safely store them on CD-Rs like Fujifilm’s CD-R for Photo or print them for long-term enjoyment. People frequently keep their images stored on their digital camera memory where they can accidentally get deleted, or download them onto the home computer where they sit unseen and unappreciated. Now, there are no more excuses. Developing digital prints to ensure that one’s irreplaceable collection of memories is protected has never been easier. Consumers can get beautiful prints from a digital camera in a variety of finishes and formats by taking their digital media card or CD of images to a photo retailer for developing. Some retailers have made photofinishing even easier by allowing customers to email their pictures to them, and also offer home delivery. A list of photofinishing retailers can be found online at www.printmypics.ca.
Online Digital Photography Resources
www.fujifilm.ca/digitalphotography is a one-stop destination for consumers in search of a variety of solutions, such as a shopping guide, a directory of digital camera retailers, where to get prints from digital files, tips and tutorials, a coupon and promotions alert, digital camera product support and links to a host of digital photography resource sites.